I adore the month of October and have listed some of my reasons.
- Cool, crisp air. After a long, hot, humid Georgia summer, temperatures in the 60’s and 70’s are a welcome change to someone whose forehead drips water like a leaky faucet.
- College football. Sure, my Indiana Hoosiers aren’t exactly a college football powerhouse, but I still love watching the Cream and Crimson battle it out each week. I’ve learned, however, that you can’t live in Georgia without cheering for the Bulldogs.
- Color. The explosions of color are spectacular, especially those I remember while driving through the Smokey Mountains, The Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, West Virginia, and even my home state of Indiana. We took a trip through Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee, years ago. My one regret is that I didn’t take pictures. Although, cameras back then (at least the cheapo I had) could never do justice to the scenery. I had to settle for storing those breathtaking images in my head.
- Cinnamon tea. Nothing like sipping a cup of hot cinnamon spiced tea on a cool-ish afternoon. Not sure why I get so much comfort, but it may go back to visiting my BFF, Diana, who served tea in sturdy see-through glass cups with a generous sprinkling of red hots. Ah, those carefree afternoons, laughing, listening to and writing music. Where did they go? At least those memories come back with the first sniff of cinnamon.
- Apple cider doughnuts from Mercier Orchards in Blue Ridge, GA. Tell the truth, did your mouth start watering? Mine did. Now, to plan a trip two hours north to grab a couple dozen.
- Hunt For Red October. Okay, I know this is a stretch, but who can say “October” without thinking of Sean Connery? Sure, turns out he was reported to be somewhat of a misogynist, but I grew up in the James Bond era, and spent decades drooling over the man.
- Last, but not least. I wait through the heat of the summer to finally enjoy our deck. Sipping a latte doesn’t hurt, either. I figure I have about a month to sit outside before it’s necessary to wear socks and a jacket. That’s not all I wear! Fully dressed, of course. Get your mind out of the gutter!
What I don’t like about October? Our hummingbirds leave for warmer climates. I sure do miss them. Until next spring, little hummers!
What do you love/hate about October? If fall doesn’t “call” to you, what month does?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Check back for updates on the release date for Sazerac, Sleuth & Slay,
An Andi Anna Jones Mystery, Book 2
What do you mean, you haven’t read book # 1, Margaritas, Mayhem & Murder?!?
What are you waiting for??